Where did the “Florentine cabinet” get its name?
The cabinet is named after the pietra dura panels, precious lapidary artwork from Florence. They are from the Cosimo III de’ Medici factory, who ruled as the Grand Duke of Tuscany's from 1670 to 1723. The “pietre dure” panels, Italian for “hard stones”, were worked using the “commesso” method. Paper-thin plates, made of marble, granite, and semi-precious stone, were assembled into radiant illustrations.